Monday, March 14, 2011

Scrapbooking Meets the Teddy Bear

Because I love so many different types of crafting, I find myself using supplies and techniques developed for one type of craft in unusual ways for a totally different craft. My Xyron machine gets more use applying adhesive to scroll saw patterns than it does for card making or scrapbooking. I use scroll saw patterns in my glass fusing, cutting the glass with a ring saw. I love to scroll saw Chinese paper cutting patterns. I create rubber stamped jewelry pendants and earrings and have also rubber stamped designs on fused glass using glass enamel powders instead of ink.

It seems I am not alone. Many artists and craftsmen also cross the boundaries and do what I like to call "cross-crafting". Several years ago, Sizzix sponsored a contest where the grand prize was a collection of all of their dies. Entries included cards, memory books, and other items you would expect from a contest featuring die cuts. And then there was this cutie:



This hand made mohair teddy bear is decked out with ultrasuede appliques cut with Sizzix dies. Although he was not the grand prize winner, he did place first in the unusual application category. The bear was made by Elizabeth Taylor of Agape Bears. Elizabeth is a talented bear artist who happens to also be my younger sister. You can see more pictures of this Sizzix Bear here.

Elizabeth has created two more Sizzix embellished bears. This bear was an auction piece at a show in 2008 to benefit Good Bears of the World. The theme of the show was Teddy's Favorite Holiday. More photos of this bear can be found here.


The third Sizzix bear was also an auction piece benefiting Good Bears of the World. She was made for the 2009 Teddy Bear Jubilee in Kansas City where the theme was Bloomin' Teddies. More photos of her can be found here.


So, do you "cross-craft"? I would love to hear from other artists about their favorite unusual use of supplies or techniques.

1 comment:

  1. Susan - thanks for the post. Your blog is looking great. Love you sis.

    ReplyDelete